Thursday, December 2, 2010

Human blindness

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 9:27-31.
And as Jesus passed on from there, two blind men followed (him), crying out, "Son of David, have pity on us!"
When he entered the house, the blind men approached him and Jesus said to them, "Do you believe that I can do this?" "Yes, Lord," they said to him.
Then he touched their eyes and said, "Let it be done for you according to your faith."
And their eyes were opened. Jesus warned them sternly, "See that no one knows about this."
But they went out and spread word of him through all that land.


Commentary of the day : Saint Symeon the New Theologian
Human blindness

[Christ speaks:]
When I created Adam, I allowed him to see me
and thus be established in the dignity of the angels...
With his bodily eyes he beheld my whole creation
but with those of the mind
he looked on the face of me, his Creator.
He contemplated my glory
and spoke with me constantly.
But when, in defiance of my command,
he tasted of the tree,
then he became blind
and fell into the darkness of death...

But I took pity on him and came down from on high.
I who am completely invisible
Shared the visibility of his flesh,
And having received from the flesh a beginning, having become man,
I was seen by all.
So why did I readily take on all this?
Because this was the real reason
For which I had created Adam: to see me.
When he had been blinded
And, following him, all his descendants as well,
I could not bear that I myself should remain
In divine glory and abandon those...
I had created with my own hands.
But I became in everything like all men,
Bodily with those who are body,
And freely joined myself to them.
Now you see what my wish to be seen by men is like...
So how can you say I am hiding from you,
Not letting myself be seen?
In truth I shine out, but you, you fail to look at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment