Tuesday, January 4, 2011

"About the fourth watch of the night, he came toward them walking on the sea"

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjGD4Iks3BNMPpJppzhyQhPZWeEXzOh4wreIdzU_50ZU0ewtmFliV8Rwh4-pJ2IHQMc0xFoXz40dj4wAujudCpzLV3e5zGbzNoDeNwF1bGnF8pOJfOXptwqd9SxQQoc9oB380y4AxxLQmba/s400/kno-DoNotBeAfraid.jpgHoly Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Mark 6:45-52.
Then he made his disciples get into the boat and precede him to the other side toward Bethsaida, while he dismissed the crowd.
And when he had taken leave of them, he went off to the mountain to pray.
When it was evening, the boat was far out on the sea and he was alone on shore.
Then he saw that they were tossed about while rowing, for the wind was against them. About the fourth watch of the night, he came toward them walking on the sea. He meant to pass by them.
But when they saw him walking on the sea, they thought it was a ghost and cried out.
They had all seen him and were terrified. But at once he spoke with them, "Take courage, it is I, do not be afraid!"
He got into the boat with them and the wind died down. They were (completely) astounded.
They had not understood the incident of the loaves. On the contrary, their hearts were hardened.


Commentary of the day : Blessed John Henry Newman
"About the fourth watch of the night, he came toward them walking on the sea"

Lead, kindly Light, amid the encircling gloom,
Lead Thou me on;
The night is dark and I am far from home,
Lead Thou me on.
Keep Thou my feet; I do not ask to see
The distant scene; one step enough for me.

I was not ever thus, nor prayed that Thou
Shouldst lead me on;
I loved to choose and see my path; but now
Lead Thou me on.
I loved the garish day, and, spite of fears,
Pride ruled my will: remember not past years.

So long Thy power hath blessed me, sure it still
Will lead me on
O'er moor and fen, o'er crag and torrent, till
The night is gone,
And with the morn those angel faces smile,
Which I have loved long since, and lost awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment