Thursday, September 10, 2009

The Splinter and the Beam




Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 6:39-42.

And he told them a parable, "Can a blind person guide a blind person? Will not both fall into a pit?
No disciple is superior to the teacher; but when fully trained, every disciple will be like his teacher.
Why do you notice the splinter in your brother's eye, but do not perceive the wooden beam in your own?
How can you say to your brother, 'Brother, let me remove that splinter in your eye,' when you do not even notice the wooden beam in your own eye? You hypocrite! Remove the wooden beam from your eye first; then you will see clearly to remove the splinter in your brother's eye.

Commentary of the day
Saint Augustine (354-430), Bishop of Hippo (North Africa) and Doctor of the Church
Commentary on the Sermon on the Mount, 19,63 (©Fathers of the Church)

The splinter and the beam

The Lord in this passage warns us against rash and unjust judgement. He wants us to act with a heart that is single and intent on God alone. Because there are many things about which it would be rash to pass judgement since we do not know with what kind of a heart they are done. For the most part, those who readily judge and condemn are those who love to find fault and to condemn rather than to reprove and correct (and this is the vice of pride or envy)... So if, for instance, someone sins through anger, you would reprove him through hatred. There is as much difference between anger and hatred as there is between a speck and a beam. For hatred is an inveterate anger which, in time, has come to such a pitch that it may aptly be called a beam. Even though you are angry with someone, you may nevertheless wish them to amend. But if you hate someone, you cannot wish them to change for the better... First rid yourself of hatred, and then you will immediately be able to correct the person you love.

My Reflection:
People are truly judgmental. I can relate to the Gospel because I have so many experiences about being judge by someone without first looking in the hearts of the individual. We can easily be judge by our looks and personality. You see, I am the type of person who is not so handsome but I am charming and cute...(my mother told me so)....Whenever I go to mall to shop or inquire something, I was being ignored by the saleslady or the seller all because they thought I look like I don't have no money to buy or maybe something else. I am easily hurt when I saw people act that way.

But that was my old life. Because now, I am totally complete and perfect. I am totally created in the image and likeness of God. There is a saying, "People don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care for them."

Alleluia! God is Really Good All the Time!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment