Monday, November 29, 2010

Many will come from the east and the west, and will recline with Abraham

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 8:5-11.
When he entered Capernaum, a centurion approached him and appealed to him,
saying, "Lord, my servant is lying at home paralyzed, suffering dreadfully."
He said to him, "I will come and cure him."
The centurion said in reply, "Lord, I am not worthy to have you enter under my roof; only say the word and my servant will be healed.
For I too am a person subject to authority, with soldiers subject to me. And I say to one, 'Go,' and he goes; and to another, 'Come here,' and he comes; and to my slave, 'Do this,' and he does it."
When Jesus heard this, he was amazed and said to those following him, "Amen, I say to you, in no one in Israel have I found such faith.
I say to you, many will come from the east and the west, and will recline with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob at the banquet in the kingdom of heaven,


Commentary of the day : Saint Irenaeus of Lyons
"Many will come from the east and the west, and will recline with Abraham... at the banquet in the kingdom of heaven"

''Behold, the days are coming, says the Lord, when I shall make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Jacob... I will put my laws in their minds and will write them in their hearts» (Jr 31,31f.)... And that these promises were going to be inherited by the calling of the Gentiles, in whom also the New Covenant was opened, Isaiah says in this way, "Thus says the God of Israel, In that day man shall be confident in his Maker, and his eyes shall look to the Holy One of Israel, and they shall not be confident in altars nor in the works of their hands, which their fingers have made..." (Is 17,7f.). For most manifestly these things are said with regard to those who forsake idols and believe in God, our Maker, through the Holy One of Israel; and the Holy One of Israel is Christ...

And that he was going to be manifested to us - for the Son of God became the Son of man - and to be found amongst us who before had no knowledge of him, the Word himself says in Isaiah, thus: "I became manifest to those that sought me not; I was found by those that asked not for me. I said, Behold, I am here, to a nation that called not upon my name» (65,1). And that this race was going to be a holy people, was announced in the Twelve Prophets by Hosea in this way: "I shall call those who were Not my People, My People, and she who was Not Beloved I shall call Beloved... and they shall all be called 'sons of the living God'» (Rm 9,25-26; Hos 2,25; cf 1,9). That is what was also said by John the Baptist: «God is able from stones to raise up children to Abraham." (Mt 3,9). For our hearts, drawn out from stony services by faith, see God and become children of Abraham, who was made righteous by faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment